At the age of 14, I was playing volleyball, dancing competitively, and about to start high school. Between the hot Arizona summers and my vigorous conditioning, my skin was stating to take a hit. I started breaking out and having to deal with a very complex skin cleansing regiment every morning and every night. I went to my trusted dermatologist with a hope that she would have an easier solution to my very embarrassing skin problem. Unfortunately all she had to offer was a tube of nightmares.
She kindly prescribed a Benzoyl Peroxide wash and a Differin .3 gel, which she instructed me to use and avoid the sun. I went home, goods in hand, and hope in my heart. That night before I went to bed I tried out my new wash and spot treatment cream.
The next morning I awoke and wondered in the bathroom. I was startled awake by the face staring back at me in the mirror. I was startled to find my complexion red and peeling. I became very worried and quickly began to moisturize, but clearly this facial peel was beyond repair and was going to have to run its course.
I quickly logged on the web to research my new found “treasures”. The consumer reports quickly warned me of the dangers of these products and the affect that they can have on ones skin tone. These particular products are known for their cause of dryness; feeling of warmth; irritation; itching; peeling; redness; stinging. All of which were written all over my face. As a result an even more self conscious teenager had to battle out her first few weeks of high school with a dry, red, itchy face, and only a bottle of moisturizer as a weapon.

No comments:
Post a Comment