Objective: The first thing I notice in The Dream is the skeleton on top of the bed. I see it is holding flowers. I notice its smile. I can tell that the skeleton is flimsily constructed. The next element I notice is the symmetry between the woman’s body position and the skeleton. The difference is that her eyes are closed. She is entwined in the vines on her bedspread. The entire scene seems to be floating in the clouds.
Subjective: This painting, The Dream automatically instills some uncertainty. It makes me feel uneasy about the skeleton representing death resting right above her. It is almost haunting. I notice how constrained she must feel beneath the captivity of those vines. Maybe trapped by this idea of death. This painting caught my eye because originally I thought she looked cozy until I noticed the other elements of the painting. I liked the vibrant yellow and contrasting background of murky clouds. All of these aspects create a daunting and bewildering feeling.

No comments:
Post a Comment